Tuesday, October 27, 2015

GEN499 - General Education Capstone

The following post is from my General Education Capstone course at Ashford University. This course focused on all of the general education course that a student must take throughout the entire college experience.


* * *

Skills for Everyday Life 


Throughout my university experience, I have acquired numerous skills that helped me progress through my education. I have also transferred these skills to my everyday life and career. These skills include, but are not limited to, critical thinking, problem solving, communicating effectively, and analyzing information. 

All of these skills were enhanced through various readings and class assignments in my general education and communication studies courses at Palo Alto College and Ashford University. 

Building My Academic Skills


Each course at Ashford University requires students to submit weekly posts and research papers. These assignments require the student to analyze the instructions, research information relevant to the assignment, and communicate findings effectively through their writings. 

When I first began my studies at Ashford University, I would respond to the prompts in the posts with the basic information required in the assignment. As I completed one course and began a new one, my critical thinking, analytical, and problem solving skills improved. Consequently, my written communication skills improved because I gained a clearer understanding of how to break down an issue and better articulate my thoughts. 

One course that stood out for me throughout my educational experience is my World Literature course in which we studied classics like John Milton’s, Paradise Lost. These historical works have been studied for centuries by scholars, philosophers, and literary critics who continue to analyze the theological themes and political commentary intended by the author (Academy of American Poets, n.d.). In order to be successful in this course, all of the above mentioned skills were put to use, especially critical and creative thinking. 

Building My Soft Skills 


My university experience has also provided other learning opportunities including cultural awareness which helps a person approach problems and ideas from a different viewpoint (Dowd, 2015). Cultural and global awareness is important in both academic and everyday life. No matter where you are in the world, you must interact with people from various backgrounds and cultures. These soft skills have enabled me to communicate better with classmates and co-workers since we all come different experience in our lives. 

Skill Transfer


Wehlburg (2010) explains that with integration of general education courses, students are better prepared for diverse and unexpected requirements in future careers. My current and future careers require effective verbal and written communication skills. I am required to speak with co-workers and other professionals throughout my work day. I also have to be able to write communications effectively through emails and other forms of communication. 

I use critical thinking, problem solving and analysis skills all day at work, too. As an administrative assistant to multiple executives, I am required to keep track of their calendars to ensure they are able to get to all of their meetings on time. I have to analyze what is happening on a daily basis to make sure all documents are prepared for the meetings. 

The company I work for employs people from various cultural backgrounds. The soft skills I have learned through psychology, sociology, ethics, and other general education courses continue to enhance my ability to work with people from all over the world and succeed in everyday life.
 
References
 

Academy of American Poets. (n.d.). John Milton. Retrieved from http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poet/john-milton.
 

Dowd, M. (2015). What is the purpose of taking general classes for a college degree? Retrieved from http://education.seattlepi.com/purpose-taking-general-classes-college-degree-1876.html.
 

Wehlburg, C. M. (2010). Integrated general education: A brief look back. New Directions for Teaching & Learning, 121, 3-11. doi:10.1002/tl.383.

No comments:

Post a Comment